Friday, May 9, 2008

Sarvangasana

Sarvangasana

Sarva (n.) = All
Anga (n.) = Limb
Asana (n.) = Posture

Together these words will mean the posture which exercises all limbs

 
Posted by Picasa


Self Critique:

Well, thanks to my back pain which is almost gone now, I have not been doing this Asana or any other forward bending Asana for a long time. As I reported sometime earlier, I recently started doing Sarvangasana regularly. But years of non-practice has led to reduce the quality that I seek in everything. First defect in this posture that I see, that the body is not as perpendicular to the ground as I would like it to be. Second, the weight of the body is still borne by wrists and hands here - the force applied by the hands and the waists can be clearly seen. Ideally, the palms should merely rest on the back, they should not exert pressure of the waist to hold the torso straight.

Breathing: Breathe in as you raise the legs to the position, breathe normal as you hold the position, and breathe out as you lower the limbs to the ground.

How to execute the posture:

1) Lie in Savasana
2) perform Ardha halasana
3) Raise your back from the ground with the help of the hands and legs moving from Ardha halasana without resting and in one sweeping motion


8 comments:

Julia Dutta said...

Hi Durga,
Now I have got it. I was going and clicking in the wrong place. Thank god I can comment now. I like this posture. I do it too but I keep my hands and arms on the floor beside me. Its good for the brain I think - a gush of blood there.
Julia

Durgasankar Mandal said...

You do Nirlamba Sarvangasana? unsupported version of Sarvangasana is quite an advanced pose. There are not many who would be able to do it. I am not.

Ash said...

Must try it. But I'm new to Yoga :-)

ramesh sadasivam said...

Hi Friend. Nice Informative Blog. The explanations for name of the asanas is wonderful. In my experience I have seen, chanting the name of Rama helps to do Yoga better. For instance when a particular asana is difficult, I leave it as it is chant Rama nama continously for a few days. Then I try that asana, and I've seen the body as per my wish. And being vegetarian also helps in Yoga. A little I know I've shared with you. Thanks for visiting my blog. Your most welcome to my other blogs too. :)Bye for now.

Anonymous said...

Durgasankarki,
Namaste!

Thanks for visiting my blogspot. My actual blog is at http://www.abhijitsplanet.com/pratibimb/

Do visit it:-)

Well! Nice to see your Yogasanas on your blog.

I want to learn how to sit into Padmasana. I tried, but I just can't! Please guide me and give me some tricks so that I can sit in Padmasana.

Thanks.
Abhijit

Durgasankar Mandal said...

Well, I helped a few people do a Padmasana, when they confirmed that their knees were stubborn!

The best way I found is not to force anything - be it yoga or anything at all.

Try doing it lying on your back, and then raising your legs and doing the Padmasana in air. You you are able to do just a bit, persist over the next 1 year, everyday.

best wishes!

I will surely visit your blog!

Julia Dutta said...

Durga,
This is a pose I do sometimes now as I am relaxing due to extreme sciatica pains.....
Julia

Durgasankar Mandal said...

Julia,

This pose will NOT perhaps help ameliorate the sciatica pain.

For Sciatica pain you will need to take other approaches.