Sunday, July 22, 2007

Pincha Mayurasana and Vrischikasana

That I am posting today, would not be possible without the continuous encouragement and egging from one individual - Shameem Akhtar.

We did not know each other even a month ago. I saw her yoga articles at rediff.com - saw a few Asanas performed by her some of which I was not able to execute, some of which (of course the easy ones - :)) I was. For example, I tried to do the Ardhachandrasana that she did and almost toppled myself over. :).

Well, these balance Asanas are rather tough! Perhaps that's why I lack some self-confidence. I am trying to do them ever since. Particularly, this Natarajasana with which I am feeling rather comfortable these days.


Natarajasana


This asana is good for me especially since these backbending asanas are really good for my spine which was hurting mad for the last three-four years.

Need to fix my back urgently. Hence, trying to make suppler by bending a little more every day. During our interaction I mentioned to Shameem that I was now trying to relax in the scorpion pose.

If your back is hurting, first you could take the opinion of an orthopaedist - since that's one important variable to decide what sort of fixing mechanism options are available. For example, I wasn't able to even think about the scorpion or head stand pose even a month ago. Though my back was all right to touch my toes with my fingers, it wasn't as good as to take a jerk to the back muscles which was needed during the take-off to head stand. Even now, when I cannot feel back-pain at all during normal hours, most forward bending asanas are a no-no.

Just as a great mentor that Shameem is, she immediately motivated me to publish a photo of the pose. See I am not perfect as yet in this pose (Though my wife likes them).



Vrischikasana - the Scorpion




Pincha Mayurasana/(in West Bengal it is known as Vyaghrasana)

1) My head should be tilted a little upward, and the legs should be closer to each other and to the head. I would like to ideally, touch my head with my feet.
2) My arms should be a little straighter so my torso could be a little higher from the the ground - floating in space
3) And my breathing should be a little more regular. Bottom line is I should be able to talk in normal voice striking this pose, if at all I want too - though I would not, in normal circumstances. I would like to meditate, ideally speaking in any pose that I do.


PS: 1) The photogrpahs were taken by my cousin Sudipto Mohanto, a Business Analyst in the ITES industry

2) Implementing Shameem's feedback, changed the spelling of Byaghrasana to Vyaghrasana and made it familiar sounding to all having an ear for the Sanskrita language

4 comments:

YOGA IN EVERYTHING said...

Nice, I did not realise that u were talking of a yoga blog... way to go... hope you keep it up. And yes, if we see that bengalis says ba sound for va then we are talking about vyagrhasana? It means the lion pose... I liked the pincha mayurasana name simply because the pose does look like a peacock with its tail straight up!
Nice execution... I love this pose

Durgasankar Mandal said...

Though there are two "ba"s, as in the Sanskrita grammar, in Bengali, the Bengalees pronounce a common sound for both.

And yes, Byaghrasana is same as Vyagrasana - the tiger pose. Perhaps the pose looks like the tiger, with its tail straight up, about to jump on its prey.

I may not be able to keep posting very frequently in this blog - since I shall speak here of my challenges now, and overcoming one challenge consumes longer time than relating it.

JSpirit said...

Wow! I teach people yoga for the back, and it's wonderful to see you do and get relief from all these healing asanas... Great work, and keep up the sadhana!

Durgasankar Mandal said...

Hi Jhilmil,

I left a comment at your blog.

Thank you for your encouraging words. Yes, as I discovered, as my back is getting better and better, I now can do more daring poses.

The forward bending poses I am afraid will have to wait sometime more till my back heals completely.

By the way, did you do a test your thyroids? The results might just reveal a lot on the Bipolar.