Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Ananta Sayanasana

Approaching Vashishthasana - Part 3

Ananta Sayanasana

This is somewhat easier than the Hasta padangushthasana.
However, the real trick, I found is in the balance here.

Ananta Sayanasana - Left Leg


 


Ananta Sayanasana - Right Leg

 



Oh, why this is called the Ananta Sayanasana. In all relief or high reliefs in South Indian temples, or even statues I found Vishnu reposed in somewhat similar position. on his sides, and head supported by the palm as it is in this Asana. And Vishnu reposing in that posture is the Ananta (eternal) Sayana (lying) posture.

Another point I wanted to expound on: why I do not give the English names for these Asanas. My mentor in this blog business Shameem Akhtar too once asked me this.

Two reasons really:


i) The first reason is simple - I don't know the English names.
ii) the second reason is - I am convinced, in order to succeed in anything, one needs a little focus, attention, sadhana. The Path of Yoga also calls for that Sadhana. My blog is for those few, who even if beginners, are prepared to pay that much attention to yoga. I have reasons to believe they would not need an English translation to the Asanas. Just as I too did not need any English translation to the Japanese names of the moves in Katas when I was active in Karate. Hidari godan uchi uke - I knew what it was, or Migi Mawashi Geri executed from the Zenkutsu Dachi. I just remembered them.

The disciple, or the student of yoga ought to have that much devotion to the yoga way, that Nanya Panthah Vidyateayanaya (there is no other way). This is the only way - the way of devotion - through which Yoga can be mastered.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

nn said...

hi, Thanks for your good work here. I have not seen Ananta Sayanasana shown in any other website. I was looking for poses that can be done during pregnancy when one is advised not to lie down on back. This seems like one. Is it called by any other name?
Thanks!

Durgasankar Mandal said...

If it is I am not aware of it.

I guess this suits well for pregnant ladies. I am no expert on Yoga during pregnancy. But I suppose being aware as how your body is responding while you are lifting the leg and applying tension to it makes a great deal of sense.

If it is uncomfortable, don/t push it. If you are able to do it by all means do. easy way does it.