Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Shirshasana

Baddha-Hasta Shirshasana


In English Shirshasana is spelt this way. Actually it should be Seershasana.

Baddha(adj.) = bound
Hasta (n.) = hand

Sheersha (n.) = the crown, head, the top
Asana (n.) = posture


Hindi sir = head has its origin in the Sanskrita word "seersha"

 


This is the plain vanilla shirshasana, ahem! without all those variations.

Why would I publish Shirshasana on this blog? I wanted to publish only those Asanas which I am grappling with. er... and of course those Asanas that have been requested - for example the back pain series.

Shirshasana is the first Asana that I learnt in the childhood days, when I was as young as eight years old. The story has been told in my yahoo blog.

Well, several reasons...
* I haven'nt any photographs now to publish :)
* Actually, I am now grappling with the Akarna Dhanurasana that I saw our school friend Soumyananda Dinda (who is a Dr Soumyananda Dinda now, a quite well known lecturer in Economics - yes I established contacts with him - a couple of months ago)do, and I am not even halfway there.
* Shirshana is a swell Asana for keeping heart disease at bay; even thyroid problems, brain problems, eye problems, ear problems, back problems.
* Hence people would do well to start practising it.

Warning!!!: which flows from the benefits really. If you have any of the existing problem which is is prevented by Shirshasana, don't start practising it to cure them. Chances are, they will get worse. :)

I had this experience, which, let me share - Everytime, as I took off my legs from the ground, my back pain would scream loudly!!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seershasana or Shirshasana are both transliterations. Since the original sanscript doesn't use a Roman alphabet, either is an acceptable transliteration. Sushila and Susheela is the same; both are Roman alphabet transliterations.

Durgasankar Mandal said...

Well :). No wonder why Indians pronounce ship and sheep the same way. or slip and sleep,

For Indians Sushila and susheela are same - and so are slip and sleep. In India that's fine.

But the English people are a little confused of Indian disrespect of vowels.