Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Naukasana

Naukasana

Nauka (n.) = Boat
Asana (n.) = Posture

Naukasana is also known as Navasana. But the latter, I feel, is a Hindi, and not a Sankrita word.

Hence I prefer to call it as Naukasana

 
Posted by Picasa


One friend asked me how to do a Naukasana. I assume that it would be in the mind of my visitors too. Well, I have seen multiple ways of doing this Asana. However, the easiest way I find is as provided below:

1. Sit with your back straight
2. Extend both your legs forward as you would when you are doing the Paschimottanasana
3. Place your hands, palm down on yor knees;
4. Breathe in
5. Breathe out and tilt backwards, and extend your arms towards the knees

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boat pose is also a great pose for partner yoga. Yoga instructor to the stars, Leeann Carey says that it’s great for the core and the hamstrings. She has a free yoga video on boat pose that I thought you might want to check out: https://www.planetyoga.com/free-yoga-video-partner-boat-pose/

Durgasankar Mandal said...

Many thanks for the link. It is indeed a very good one. I learnt a few tips myself on the Ardha-chakrasana and of course the Noukasana.